Connecting JIRA to Automate.io
Note: We support both JIRA Cloud and JIRA Server.
There are two methods to connect JIRA to Automate.io.
Go to APPS in your dashboard. Click the blue ‘+’ button on the top-right. You will see a ‘Add a new app’ pop-up.
Search for JIRA in the search box. Select JIRA. You will see a window that prompts you to validate the app (see 'How to validate JIRA?' below).
While creating a Bot, you can directly connect JIRA either as a Trigger or an Action app. Refer to 'Connecting the Trigger app' or 'Connecting the Action app' in How to create a Bot.
How to validate JIRA?
In the window below, enter the App Name, the Base URL, Email Address / User ID, and API Token / Password (How do I find my API Token?), and click Validate. In the next window, click Save. JIRA will be successfully connected to Automate.io.
- If you are using JIRA Cloud, provide the login Email and the API token. If you are using JIRA Software Server, provide the User ID and Password. (See 'What are JIRA Cloud and JIRA Software Server?' below)
- You won’t be able to connect your JIRA server to Automate.io if you have enabled Duo’s two-factor authentication to your JIRA login
- Some JIRA triggers require Admin access. So, we suggest you enter the credentials which have admin privileges. (See 'List of Triggers which need JIRA Admin access')
How do I find my API Token?
If you are using JIRA Cloud, you can find your API Token here. It opens the page below.
Click Create API token. You will see the below popup.
Enter a label name, and click Create.
A new API token will be created. Click Copy to clipboard. Now, paste it in your Automate.io account.
Note: If you are using JIRA Software Server, enter your User ID and Password.
What are JIRA Cloud and JIRA Software Server?
JIRA Cloud hosts, secures, and maintains your products on the cloud for you. On the other hand with JIRA Software Server, you install, host, run, and maintain your products yourself using your own hardware or cloud hosting services like AWS.
Note: If you are using private infrastructure to host your JIRA server, there are chances that your firewall will block external IP addresses. In such a case, allow the following IP addresses from Automate.io:
List of Triggers that need JIRA Admin access.
The following Triggers require JIRA Admin access.
- New Issue: Triggers when there is a new Issue
- New Sprint: Triggers when there is a new Sprint
- New Comment: Triggers when a new comment is added to an issue
- New Project: Triggers when there is a new Project
- New User: Triggers when a new user is added
- New Worklog: Triggers when a new Worklog is added to an issue
- Issue Updated: Triggers when an Issue is updated
- Worklog Updated: Triggers when a new Worklog is added to an issue
- Issue Status Changed: Triggers when the status of an Issue is changed
Using JIRA with Automate.io
Now that the connection is successful, it’s time for the real fun—creating bots to automate your tasks. You will need to set up a trigger and action to do that. To learn what these terms mean, check out our Automate.io terminology page.
1. For the 'Add Issue' action, the user will be able to use the 'Epic Link' field only if the Issue Type field is set to 'Epic'.
2. Under the 'Add Issue' action, if the Issue Type field is set to Task or Epic or any other custom issue type, dynamic mapping is not supported.
3. The 'Add Comment' and 'Search User' actions do not support custom fields.
4. Currently, Automate.io doesn't have the provision to add or update the status of an issue.
5. In the ‘Add Issue’ and ‘Update Issue’ actions, we currently do not support the ‘Issuelink’ field.
Common issues with solutions
1. I'm getting a 401 Error while trying to log in.
Workaround: For some JIRA instances, you need to log in with your user name instead of your email. You can find it by going to your profile in JIRA. Visit this link for more information.
2. Error: Failed to load output fields for the ‘Search issue’ action.
This likely occurs if your JIRA SSL root certificate expires. We recommend you contact your IT administrator about this.